The religious write about the Lord as the morally perfect being, the transcendent and other lofty philosophical descriptions. I wonder if they ever read the Tenach with intellectual honesty. Also, they seem to be unaware of the many points of contact of the Lord with some other gods.
For example the Lord is associated with war, blood, and mountain(s). That will be the focus of this post, but there some additional and related material in some of my older posts. I will provide a tiny sampling from Ancient Near East Literature and a tiny sampling from the Tenach. A book could be written about it.
Page references from the book Near East Religious Texts Relating to the Old Testament (Edited by Walter Beyerlin) 1978 and Bible translations from The Jewish Study Bible Berlin and Brettler 2004
1) In Exodus 7 The Lord brings the blood plague upon Egypt.
Page 97 - The Sumerian Myth Inanna and the Gardener -
The goddess Inanna brings a plague of blood - filled all the springs with blood and woman slaves who drew water got blood.
2) Isaiah 34 ....For the Lord is angry at all the nations, Furious at all their host;
He has doomed them, consigned them to slaughter. Their slain shall be left lying,
And the stench of their corpses shall mount; And the hills shall be drenched with their blood....The Lord has a sword; it is sated with blood....
Jeremiah 46:10 But that day shall be for the Lord God of Hosts a day
when He exacts retribution from His foes. The sword shall devour; it shall be sated and drunk with their blood.
Page 193 Anat’s War The warrior goddess Anat mows down cities, heads roll beneath her, bathes in the blood of dead soldiers, slaughters until satiated etc:
3) Exodus 3 Now Moses, tending the flock of his father-in-law Jethro, the priest of Midian, drove the flock into the wilderness, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God.
Also, Moses ascended a Mountain to visit with the Lord - Exodus 24.
Page 200 Anat’s Audience With El - The goddess Anat ascends the mountain of El to have a chat with El.
There was an accident, but the posts your looking for are still here. Check the Topical Index which also includes alphabetical index or search or post's address has the date of the post. Post's 'labels' are unreliable for linking or searching. For a good overview and understanding of this blog see SOME REASONS TO REJECT ORTHODOX JUDAISM my April 2014 post or click link.
SEE THIS LINK FOR BLOG SUMMARY AND SOME REASONS TO REJECT ORTHODOX JUDAISM
Click this link for TOPICAL INDEX OF POSTS
- Alter Cocker Jewish Atheist
- No longer take comments. Post's 'labels' are unreliable for linking or searching. Use the INDEX OF POSTS instead. A fairly accurate, but incomplete INDEX of Posts & good overview and understanding of this blog READ SOME REASONS TO REJECT ORTHODOX JUDAISM my April 2014 post or click link above. Born into an Orthodox Jewish family (1950's) and went to Orthodox Yeshiva from kindergarten thru High School plus some Beis Medrash.Became an agnostic in my 20's and an atheist later on. My blog will discuss the arguments for god and Orthodox Judaism and will provide counter arguments. I no longer take comments. My blog uses academic sources, the Torah, Talmud and commentators to justify my assertions. The posts get updated. IF YOU GET A MESSAGE THAT THE POST IS MISSING - LOOK FOR IT IN THE INDEX or search or the date is found in the address.
Tuesday, April 30, 2019
Yahweh, Mountain and or Warrior and or BloodThirsty gods
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment